Previous company name
TILBURY DOUGLAS PLC
Name change date
Interserve PLC, with headquarters in Twyford Reading Berkshire, is a services, maintenance and building group. Interserve was formed in 1884 as the London and Tribury Lighterage Company Limited, its trade involved transferring goods by barge to and from ships. Interserve creates building and other structures for its clients in the public and private sectors and maintain many different types of buildings, the operational systems that support them and a range of plant and equipment in specialist fields. Interserve also coordinates a host of background services for its clients to keep them running smoothly and efficiently while they concentrate on their core business. Interserve provides services across the whole life of many types of buildings and infrastructure such as hospitals, schools, offices, industrial plant, bridges, waterworks or roads. Interserve offers its services at each stage of the asset lifecycle: they build, they help others build by hiring them equipment, they maintain, they support operations and they replace. Approximately 70 per cent of Interserve services are delivered into the built environment and 30 per cent to plant and infrastructure. Interserve’s position in the market is as an integrator and broad-based supplier of services. Interserve operates through five divisions and has a head office covering functions such as corporate and legal issues, finance, pensions and insurance. Interserve’s businesses are facilities services, industrial services, project services, equipment services and PFI investments. Interserve provides a wide range of services in diverse environments. Interserve’s services include: access equipment hire and sale, access/scaffolding services, asbestos surveying and removal, building design and construction, building refurbishment, catering, cleaning – general, cleaning – industrial, communications cabling and networks, energy management, estates management, event staging/decking systems, facilities management, falsework, formwork, grounds maintenance, health and safety systems, highways maintenance, infrastructure design and construction, instrumentation, IT/telecoms support, mechanical and electrical maintenance – general, mechanical and electrical installation – industrial, module construction, painting – industrial, pipework fabrication, power transmission and distribution, property services, propping and shoring, river and coastal protection, security, specialist coatings, thermal insulation, transport management, waste management and water treatment plant. Interserve aims to deliver sustainable shareholder value by providing an integrated range of support services in partnership with its clients, employees and supply chain. Interserve operates safely and responsibly and seeks to improve continually.
The Company is a services, maintenance and building group. They create buildings and other structures for their clients in the public and private sectors; they maintain many different types of buildings, the operational systems that support them and a range of plant and equipment in specialist fields; and they coordinate a host of background services for their clients to keep their operations running smoothly and efficiently,
allowing them to concentrate on their core business.
Description and history
The Company is a services, maintenance and building group. They create buildings and other structures for our clients in the public and private sectors; they maintain many different types of buildings, the operational systems that support them and a range of plant and equipment in specialist fields; and they coordinate a host of background services for their clients to keep their operations running smoothly and efficiently, allowing them to concentrate on their core business.
The Company was incorporated on 19 April 1906 and admission of its shares to trading on AIM commenced on 12 October 1966.
The Company has its corporate base near Reading in Berkshire. It has been in existence for well over 100 years.
– The business that was ultimately to become Interserve was formed in 1884 as the London and Tilbury Lighterage Company Limited. Its trade involved transferring goods by barge to and from ships.
– In 1888 the company secured a dredging contract with the Port of London. Dredging subsequently became the mainstay of the company as lighterage gradually declined with the increase of road traffic.
– Civil engineering began in the 1940s and, with building, had become the company’s focus by the 60s.
– Following strategic shifts and growth through the 70s and 80s, in 1991 Tilbury acquired RM Douglas, another construction and civil engineering business, and became Tilbury Douglas.
– Through the 1990s the Group adopted a new strategy which progressively took it out of property development and housebuilding and into the support services sector. Alongside numerous small purchases and disposals, three major acquisitions crystallised this move:
– How Group plc in 1998, introducing facilities management and engineering services
– Bandt plc in 1999, providing industrial and equipment services
– Building & Property Limited in 2000, which provided a broader range of facilities management services.
– As a result of the change in focus, later that year the company transferred from the construction sector to the support services sector in the FTSE listing.
– Then in 2001, to reflect the new emphasis, the group changed its name to Interserve.
– In 2003, under new Chief Executive Adrian Ringrose, the Group discontinued several non-core activities in order to provide increased concentration on those offering the best prospects for improved quality of continuing revenue streams and increasing shareholder value.
– Positioned as a services, maintenance and building company, Interserve generated solid organic growth through 2004, 2005 and 2006, providing services across the whole life-cycle of many types of buildings and infrastructure.
– In July 2006 they acquired MacLellan, a facilities management provider focusing on people-based services for private-sector clients. In concert with the acquisition we reorganised the Group into four workstreams:
– Facilities Services, comprising the Facilities Management and Specialist Services divisions;
– Project Services, the construction management division;
– Equipment Services, the division that designs, hires and sells formwork and falsework for construction projects; and
– PFI Investments, which structures our PFI transactions and provides management expertise to the project companies.
Foremerly London and Tribury Lighterage Company Limited
Provides services and maintenance
A.R. MOXHAM (CROWTHORNE) LIMITED
US SIC Code
City province or state postal code
RG10 9JU, TWYFORD (READING)
Phone: +44 118 932 0123
Fax: +44 118 932 0206
Country address: UNITED KINGDOM
Website url: www.interserveplc.co.uk