REN – REDES ENERGЙTICAS NACIONAIS, SGPS, S.A.
Previous company name
Name change date
REN – Rede Elйctrica Nacional, S.A., with registered office in Lisboa, Portugal, is a publicly quoted company engaged in the production and distribution of electricity. REN was set up as a company in August 1994, emerging out of a spin-off operation from the EDP Group – Electricidade de Portugal, S.A., of the then Operations Division.
REN is responsible for the electricity transmission in Portugal. The company’s activities include high pressure natural gas transport; natural gas underground storage; and liquefied natural gas reception, storage and regasification in GNL terminals.
In November 2000, REN left the EDP Group in the wake of the European energy market being liberalized. This meant that transmission companies and those handling production and distribution had to be legally separated. Responsible for an activity fundamental to the country’s economy, REN is guided by values consolidated over the years, such as a sense of responsibility and ethics, upholding rigor, transparency, independence, impartiality and a spirit of cooperation. Allied to these values are technical leadership and rationality in the utilization of methods and resources, with an emphasis on respect for the environment.
REN – Rede Elйctrica Nacional is the concessionaire of the National Electricity Transmission Network (RNT). In mainland Portugal its mission is that of a public utility company, primarily ensuring: the technical management of the National Electricity System (SEN) and overall management of the Public Service Electricity System (SEP); the carrying of electrical power, and the planning, construction, operation and maintenance of the National Transmission Network (RNT); and identification of the needs of the new SEP producers’ centers and the building up of a portfolio of places for them.
REN – Redes Energeticas Nacionais SGPS SA (REN) is a Portugal-based holding company involved in the energy sector. The Company offers a range of services, including transmission of high-voltage electricity, transport of natural gas at high pressure and underground storage of natural gas. It has various subsidiaries: RENTELECOM – Comunicacoes SA, which provides telecommunications services; REN Trading SA, which is engaged in the purchase, sale, import and export of electricity and natural gas, and REN – Rede Electrica Nacional SA, which is active in the distribution of electric energy. REN mainly operates in Portugal and Spain.
Description and history
REN – Redes Energйticas Nacionais specializes in the operation and concession management of the Portuguese electricity transportation network. Sales break down by activity sector as follows:
– electricity (90%): transportation of electricity from producers to end distributors and consumers, management of the electricity transportation network (connecting user installations to the network, maintaining the network, etc.). At the end of March 2007, the network totaled 7101 km;
– gas (9%): transportation of natural gas from producers to end distributors and industrial consumers, underground storage of natural gas, receiving, storage, and regasification of liquid natural gas (LNG), infrastructure construction and maintenance services, etc.;
– supply of telecommunication services (0,8%);
– other (0,2%).
Emerging out of a spin-off operation from the EDP Group – Electricidade de Portugal, S.A., of the then Operations Division
Description in Portuguese
A REN – Redes Energйticas Nacionais estб especializada na exploraзao e gestao concessionada da rede portuguesa de transporte de electricidade. As vendas por sector de actividade repartem-se da seguinte forma:
– electricidade (90%): transporte de electricidade dos produtores para os distribuidores finais e consumidores, gestao da rede de transporte de electricidade (ligaзao а rede das instalaзoes dos utilizadores, manutenзao da rede, etc.). No fim de Marзo de 2007, a rede totalizava 7.101 km;
– gбs (9%): transporte de gбs natural dos produtores para os distribuidores finais e consumidores industriais, armazenamento subterrвneo de gбs natural, recepзao, armazenamento e regaseificaзao de gбs natural liquefeito (GNL), serviзos de construзao e manutenзao das infra-estruturas, etc.;
– prestaзao de serviзos de telecomunicaзoes (0,8%);
– outros (0,2%).
Engaged in the production and distribution of electricity
3,628GASODUTO CAMPO MAIOR LEIRIA BRAGA
PRICE WATERHOUSECOOPERS & ASSOCIADOS – SOCIEDADE DE REVISORESOFICIAIS DE CONTAS LDA
US SIC Code
Avenida dos Estados Unidos da Amйrica 55
City province or state postal code
Phone: +351 210013500
Fax: +351 210013310
Country address: PORTUGAL
Website url: www.ren.pt