Previous company name
GAMUDA SDN BHD
Name change date
Gamuda Bhd is a holding company engaged in the provision of engineering and construction, infrastructure concessions and township development. The company is formerly known as Gamuda Sdn Bhd. It is registered as a publicly quoted company, with shares listed on Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange. The company was incorporated in 1976. The main business office of the company is located in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
The company covers expressways & highways, railways & mass rapid transit, tunnels, dams, water treatment plants, airports, ports & marine structures, power stations, bridges, and buildings. Some of its projects are SMART (Stormwater Management and Road Tunnel), intra-urban highways, the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit System in Kaohsiung, Taiwan; the Nam Theun 1 (NT1) hydropower project in Laos; the Dukhan Highway in Qatar; airfield and road tunnel works for the New Doha International Airport (NDIA) in Qatar; and Sitra Causeway Bridges in Bahrain.
Gamuda Bhd is considered one of Asia’s premier engineering, construction and infrastructure groups. It strives to seek and secure landmark projects, driven by a commitment to quality and innovation and a passion to ensure success for its clients.
The company has strategic alliances with Kumpulan Darul Ehsan Berhad and The Sweet Water Alliance Sdn. Bhd., to undertake civil engineering construction of the dam and water treatment facilities of Sungai Selangor Water Supply Scheme Phase 3. It also partnered with Mujur Minat Sdn. Bhd. to undertake civil engineering construction of the Western Kuala Lumpur Traffic Dispersal Scheme.
Gamuda Bhd is a global company with operations in Malaysia, India, Taiwan, Mauritius, the People’s Republic of China, Qatar, and Bahrain.
In 2007, the company is a recipient of various awards namely, Best Behaviour Program Award by Overseas Bechtel Incorporated (OBI) for Environment, Safety and Health; Best Practice Award by Overseas Bechtel Incorporated (OBI) for Environment, Safety and Health; and Professional of the Year Award by Overseas Bechtel Incorporated (OBI) for Environment, Safety and Health.
The principal activities of the Company are that of investment holding and civil engineering construction.
The principal activities of the subsidiaries are Civil engineering and construction; Supply of landscaping materials and
provision of landscaping services; Ceased paper operations; Operation and maintenance of water treatment plants; Operation of quarry, laying of road and manufacture of premix; Information technology services and trading; Insurance agency; Management of township and golf club and related maintenance services; and Hire and rental of plant and machinery.
Description and history
The Gamuda Group’s business is primarily driven by the development, construction and operations of major infrastructure concessions and large-scale township development. A leading Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) operator, currently about half the group’s earnings are derived from construction and the rest from concession operations and township development.
The Group currently has four major concessions to develop and operate highways in the Klang Valley and a concession for water treatment and supply in Selangor. The Group today operates 100 km of urban highways with average daily volumes exceeding 1.5m vehicle trips. When fully completed, the Group’s three water treatment plants, among the largest in the country, will supply more than 40% of the Klang Valley’s water needs.
Projects in Malaysia being undertaken by the Group include a major water supply scheme for the Klang Valley, the completion of a BOT toll road in western Kuala Lumpur, and an innovative flood mitigation project for Kuala Lumpur City. Overseas, the Group is currently undertaking two major highway projects in India as well as a mass-rapid-transit (MRT) project in Taiwan.
Projects completed by the Group include three major BOT urban expressways, several highways and rural roads, ports, water treatment plants and reservoirs, and a major hospital.
Large-scale township development is a rapidly growing business for the Group, involving three major township projects, comprising residential, commercial, recreational, educational and other support facilities and amenities. In total, the townships cover 3,345 acres in various stages of progress, and when completed will involve more than 15,000 units ranging from high-end and mid-range residential to affordable housing and commercial properties.
The Group is also involved in a variety of supporting activities including heavy construction plant and equipment hire, quarrying, road-paving, pre-mixed and pre-cast concrete products, construction material supply and trading, and information technology.
6 October 1976
- Gamuda Sdn Bhd founded in Ipoh, Perak.
- Present Directors of Gamuda took over operations of the Company.
- Present Directors of Gamuda took control of the Company in a management buyout and moved operations to the Klang Valley.
- Obtained Class ‘A’ Contractor License.
- Listed on the Main Board of the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange (KLSE).
- Went into manufacturing of non-carbon required (NCR) paper and established Gamuda Paper Industries Sdn Bhd (GPI).
- Signed concession agreement with the Government of Malaysia, as a partner in the consortium company KESAS Sdn Bhd, to construct, operate, maintain, and manage the Shah Alam Expressway for 28 years and nine months.
- Acquired first landbank and ventured into property development with the purchase of Ladang Bukit Kemuning at Shah Alam, Selangor.
- Launched Kota Kemuning township to the public.
- Introduced Employees Share Option Scheme (ESOS) to employees.
- LITRAK signed a 33-year concession for the privatisation of the LDP with the Government of Malaysia.
- Implemented a Scholarship Awards programme for outstanding students pursuing undergraduate studies at local and foreign institutions
- Obtained MS ISO 9002 accreditation from SIRIM for Building & Civil Engineering systems.
- SPRINT signed concession agreement with the Government of Malaysia to improve, upgrade, design, construct, maintain, operate, and manage SPRINT Highway.
- Opened Kota Permai Golf & Country Club at Kota Kemuning, Shah Alam.
- Signed MOU with the Association of Builders Malaysia (ABM) to upgrade construction industry practices.
- Syarikat Pengeluar Air Sungai Selangor Sdn Bhd (SPLASH) signed concession agreement with the Selangor State Government for the Sungai Selangor Phase 3 (SSP3) project.
- Took stake in Dyna Plastics Sdn Bhd, a manufacturer of polymer lithium ion (PLi) batteries in Ipoh, Perak.
- Launched e-Project, a portal developed jointly by GIT Services and IBM Malaysia.
- Signed concession agreement with the National Highways Authority of India to undertake the Panagarh-Palsit Highway project in West Bengal, India.
Formerly known as Gamuda Sdn Bhd
Engaged in the provision of engineering and construction, infrastructure concessions and township development
BANDAR BOTANIC RESORT BERHAD
ERNST & YOUNG
US SIC Code
78, Jalan SS22/21
City province or state postal code
47400, PETALING JAYA
Phone: +60 3 7726 9210
Fax: +60 3 7728 9811
Country address: MALAYSIA
Website url: www.gamuda.com.my