HELVETIA HOLDING AG
Previous company name
Helvetia Patria Holding
Name change date
Helvetia Holding AG, with headquarters in St. Gallen, Switzerland, is a private company primarily engaged in the management activities of holding companies. The company is also engaged in the activities auxiliary to insurance and pension funding. The company was founded in 1996.
Helvetia Holding is an internationally active all-lines insurance service group with core competencies in risk management (life and non-life business, reinsurance) and pensions. The company is number six in Switzerland and one of the leading life insurers in Europe. The company aims for a long-term increase in the value of the services offered to its customers, and in the net and capitalized asset value the company provides for its investors.
Helvetia is active in Central and Southern Europe through its regional offices, subsidiaries and associated companies as well as worldwide through its network partners. The company focuses its activities on three core markets Switzerland, Germany and Austria, two developing markets: Italy and Spain and operates in niche markets, such as transport insurance (France), and assumed reinsurance.
One of the company’ subsidiary is Patria Schweizerische Lebens AG Basel, a private company primarily engaged in the provision of life insurance, accident and health insurance, and hospital and medical services plans. Other subsidiary of the company is Helvetia Versicherungen AG, a Swiss-based company primarily engaged in the provision of fire, marine and casualty insurance, surety insurance, and title insurance.
The Helvetia Patria Group was formed in 1996 by the merger of Patria Versicherungen and the Helvetia Group.
During the year the company acquired the non-life portfolio of Nordstern Colonia Danni in Italy, the transfer of this businsss is being spread over the course of two years from 1998.
On 1 January 1998 the company acquired La Vasco Navarra, an insurance company domiciled in Pamplona, Spain.
Description and history
The history of the Company was marked by founding of Allgemeine Versicherungs Gesellschaft Helvetia in 1858. The partnership between the Company and Patria was made in 1992. The history can be overviewed as belows:
- 1996: The Founding of the Company.
- 1998: Acquisition of La Vasco Navarra (Spain), acquisition of the portfolio of NCD (Italy).
- 1999: The merger of the two companies La Vasco Navarra and Cervantes Helvetia to form Helvetia CVN, Madrid/Pamplona.
- 2000: Acquisition of the southern Spanish insurer Previsiуn Espaсola, Seville.
- 2001: Acquisition of Norwich Union Vita, Milan; renamed Helvetia Life.
- 2002: Acquisition of British insurer Royal & Sun Alliance’s transport portfolio in France.
- 2003: The merger of the two Spanish companies Helvetia CVN and Previsiуn Espaсola to form Helvetia Previsiуn with headquarters in Seville.
- 2004: The acquisition of two transport insurance portfolios in France.
- 2005: The merger of subsidiaries Helvetia Vita and Helvetia Life into Helvetia Vita in Italy with headquarters in Milan. The acquisition of the insurance portfolio of the Company on Sofid Vita, Italy.
- 2006: From September, the Helvetia Patria Group operated throughout Europe under the name Helvetia.
- 2008: Helvetia took over Padana Assicurazioni S.p.A. and boosted its sales power in Italy. Acquisition of 70% stake of the Italian life insurance company Chiara Vita S.p.A.
Holding company; Engaged in the activities auxiliary to insurance and pension funding
ALBA ALLGEMEINE VERSICHERUNGS-GESELLSCHAFT
US SIC Code
City province or state postal code
9001, ST GALLEN
Phone: +41 58 280 5604
Fax: +41 58 280 5589
Country address: SWITZERLAND
Website url: www.helvetiapatria.com