TAYLOR WIMPEY PLC
Previous company name
TAYLOR WOODROW PLC
Name change date
Taylor Woodrow PLC, headquartered in Solihull, is the holding company of the Taylor Woodrow group of subsidiary and associated undertakings whose principal activities are those of housebuilding and development, contracting, and property development.
Taylor Woodrow is a leading developer of sustainable communities of high quality homes. The company provides services in land acquisition, home and community design, urban regeneration and the construction of supporting infrastructure in the UK, and in selected markets in North America and Spain.
Taylor Woodrow PLC has 135 subsidiaries, including Bosunmere Limited, Wilcon Homes Midlands Limited, Wilson Connolly Limited, Wilcon Homes Northern Limited, Whelmar (Lancashire) Limited, Taylor Woodrow Construction Holdings, and Strada Developments to name a few.
The Company’s primary business is the development of sustainable communities of high quality homes in the UK, and in selected markets in North America and Spain.
Description and history
The Company’s primary business is the development of sustainable communities of high quality homes in the UK, and in selected markets in North America and Spain. The Group is currently organized into four operating divisions (Housing – United Kingdom, Housing (North America, Housing; Spain and Gibraltar, and Construction.
The Company was incorporated on 1 February 1935 and admission of its shares to trading on AIM commenced on 7 March 1947.
In 1921 16-year old Frank Taylor borrows Ј100 to build 2 houses in Blackpool. Too young to form his own company, his uncle Jack Woodrow lent his name to the business and ‘Taylor Woodrow’ was born. Frank Taylor made 100% profit on this first venture.
In 1930 Commercial opportunities prompt Taylor Woodrow to move to Hayes, Middlesex to build 1200 homes on the Grange Park Estate. By April 1931, homes are being completed and passed for habitation at the rate of four a day.
In 1935 Taylor Woodrow becomes a limited company with a capital of Ј3 million. Housing development begins in the USA and contracting activity starts.
1937 Taylor Woodrow Construction Ltd is formed.
1939 The Second World War breaks out. Frank Taylor orders that all houses near completion should be finished and no further work should be done on remaining properties. Their team is evacuated from Southall to Kidlington near Oxford. The skills used in their work on the Royal Ordnance Factories, airfields and a penicillin factory raise their profile.
In 1942 Acquire Greenham, entering the merchant trading and minerals’ business. It contributes to the war effort through the collaborated construction of the Mulberry Ports, used in France after the D-day landings.
1945 They now have 7 subsidiaries, 3 associate companies in the US. They look for new markets while continuing to build homes in the US. In London, Atlantic House is built ; the first major reconstruction in the City of London since the bombing.
In 1948 They are now building houses, schools and factories in England, America, New York and Africa. On the Gold Coast, the Takordi harbor’s extension starts.
In 1953 They invest in housing and property development in Canada through the purchase of Monarch Mortgage & Investments Ltd.
In 1954 They are now running 250 projects around the world. Their new head office in Southall is finished. Work that began on Donnington Power Station, and Calder Hall Nuclear Power Station is completed.
1960 Taylor Woodrow is appointed as the main contractor to build the New Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King at Liverpool. They win ‘Home of the Year’ for the Sandown Bungalow which is shown at the New Homes Exhibition in Westminster.
In 1966 The Taywood ‘Pilemaster’ wins the Queens Award to Industry. The silent vibrationless pile driver has already been used on the Hendon motorway project, a Manchester office block and a bank in Belfast. Hong Kong’s Ocean Terminal opens.
In 1970 The redevelopment of London’s St Katharine Docks begins. It is described as ‘one of the most ambitious private enterprise developments since the Great Fire’.
In 1971 They celebrate their Golden Jubilee. New projects include a multi-million pound project to ease traffic congestion at Staples Corner are made.
In 1972 In Australia, the Garden Island Causeway part of the three-mile access link between the island and the mainland of Western Australia is completed.
In 1979 Dubai Dry Dock is opened by HM The Queen.
In 1980 They become a founder member of the Channel Tunnel consortium. Housing in Canada, Florida and California continues to develop.
In 1990 They continue their international investment strategy that are dedicated to developing our business in housing, property and construction.
In 2000 A strategic review begins. Their construction business quits low return/high risk activities. Greenham Trading and Greenham Construction Materials are sold.
In 2001 They launched a successful takeover for the Bryant Group to supplement their UK housing and construction business.
In 2002 The year starts with the successful launch of a Ј250m, 10 yr unsecured sterling bond. Iain Napier joins as their new Chief Executive. A regional restructure leads to the ‘central office”s move to Solihull.
In 2003 in October 2003, Taylor Woodrow acquired Wilson Connolly for Ј499 million in the UK’ s largest housing transaction ever.
On 3 July 2007, Taylor Woodrow plc and George Wimpey Plc merged together to form Taylor Wimpey plc.
Holding company of the Taylor Woodrow group of subsidiary and associated undertakings whose principal activities are those of housebuilding and development, contracting, and property development
3 DRUM MAINS PARK LIMITED
US SIC Code
80, New Bond Street
City province or state postal code
W1S 1SB, LONDON
Phone: +44 20 7355 8100
Fax: +44 20 7355 8197
Country address: UNITED KINGDOM
Website url: www.taylorwimpey.com